Cindy Chea-Shuk-mei calls him in her introduction that “Great God of Meteorology” [天氣大神]. Professor 梁榮武 Leung Wing Mo was formerly Assistant Director of the Hong Kong Observatory and Adjunct Professor of Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He now hosts a successful TV program concerned with weather issues, and is a passionate advocate for action on climate change. This edition of Hong Kong Footpath, aired on 5 January 2020, was the first of this year’s programs.
You can listen to the interview on RTHK1 here. Scroll down for a transcription of the Cantonese with vocabulary notes (so far, I’ve only done the opening five minutes).
To check anything in the transcription and for standard jyutping romanization, please refer to the Sheik Cantonese on-line dictionary.
Note that the program proper starts at 1:55.
● 國泰民安 gwok3 taai3 màhn4 [ng]ōn1 = the country is prosperous and the people live in peace
● 祥和 chèuhng4 wòh4 = (?) 祥 “auspicious” + 和 “affable”
梁榮武: 早晨，早晨！好榮幸呢，可以非常榮幸2020年第一個節目嘅嘉賓。（車淑梅：真係 . . . 一定要揾你壓場）. . . (They both speak together)
● 榮幸 wìhng4 hahng6 = honoured
● 壓場 [ng]aat3 chèuhng4 = (?) “the show time as the key guest speaker”
● Note that with verb-object compounds such as 退休 teui3 yāu1 = “to retire”, the aspect marker jó2 can be placed between the two components, giving the sense of “having retired”.
● 男神 nàahm4 sàhn4 = male idol; prince charming; dream guy
● The phrase 想都冇想過 is a common pattern, and many other verbs can be substituted for 想 séung. In idiomatic English we could say “it never even occurred to me” or “the thought never occurred to me”.
● 惆悵 chàuh4 cheung3 = disconsolate; melancholy
● 百無聊賴 baak3 mòuh4 lìuh4 laaih6 = be bored stiff
梁榮武：第一個機會係去 . . . 一個 um 做科教育工作機構 ah 四周圍去呢學校演講。
● 四周圍 = sei3 jāu1 wàih4 = on all sides. In the interview with Kwan Chuk-fai, the same expression is used to mean something like “all over the place”: 四周圍去食嘢嘅喎.
● As an aspect marker, 開 hōi1 can be used to indicate habitual action (see Matthews and Yip, Intermediate Cantonese Unit 12). Another example of this use of 開 in the phrase 後來慢慢識佢傾開計 can be found in the podcast A Postman’s Gaze (1).
● To me, Leung Wing Mo seems to pronounce the word for “climate” as 氣候 *hei yau.
● 延續 yìhn4 juhk6 = to continue; to go on; to last
車淑梅：噉而家你就唔同呢，就唔單止係啲，啫，學校呀，社區裏邊呢，講呢，甚至乎呢， 見到你電視上邊，《武測天》咁樣樣，呵 (梁榮武：Mm mm) 呢個呢，真係， 會唔會你自己，啫係都，其實都 OK 喎 (梁榮武：Laughs ) 呢一條路？你一個幕前咁樣？【4：00】
● Here, the word 唔單止 = “not only” is paired up with 甚至乎 = “and even”, giving “you not only talk at schools and out in society [社區裏邊] but [we] even see you know on the TV”.
● According to Matthews and Yip, 呵 hó2 is used to check what is been said in the way English does with “isn’t that right?” (Intermediate Chinese, Unit 23). Sheik Cantonese defines it as “[final particle] huh – often used as a question tag to verify sth. while expecting confirmation”.
● 幕前 mohk6 chìhn4 = host (主持); literally “in front of the curtain”
● Leung Wing Mo uses 迷 màih4 here with the sense of “be crazy about; be obsessed with”.
● 嚮往 heung3 wóhng5 = to yearn for; to look forward to
● 勝任 sīng1 yahm6 = competent; qualified; equal to (the demands of a job)
● 初衷 chō1 jūng1 = original intention
● 吻合 máhn5 hahp6 = be identical; coincide; tally; be a good fit
● 等 dáng2 here means “to let; to enable; to make (sb. do sth.)” and covers the meaning expressed in standard written Chinese by 讓 yeuhng6.
● 學你話齋 hohk6 neih5 waah6 jāai1 = just like you said. According to Sheik Cantonese, 話齋 means “just as what (sb.) has said/told (indicating that what sb has said is worth noting)”, and also crops up in the phrase 俗語話齋 juhk6 yuh5 waah6 jāai1 = as the saying has it.
● 拍檔 paak3 dong3 = to cooperate; to co-star
● 主播 jyú2 bo3 = anchor; presenter (on TV)
車淑梅：所以正話影相同正武哥，有好大壓力呀！你成日隔離咁靚女咁樣。噉不過同阿武哥，啫，傾計嘅時候呢，發覺你真係充滿活力嘅喎。嗱，雖然你已經退咗休，um 你11年退休喇（梁榮武：係） 8，9年咁耐啦 （梁榮武： unclear 幾多嵗 | Laughs）【5：00】實知啦，你，退休你60嵗。噉，嘩，你依然跑步上來喎， 你樂富跑步上來廣播道喎。
● 正話 jing3 waah6 = just now; a moment ago (剛剛)
● 實知 = I thinks this means “(they) definitely know”, with saht6 in this context meaning “definitely; certainly” (Sheik Cantonese). By disclosing when Leung retired, listeners will, the host seems to imply, be able to guess his age.
梁榮武：其實，唔跑嘅，行快啲啦（車淑梅：係咪吖嘛。好健康）. . . 我以前返工嘅時候就唔同（車淑梅：係）。我返工嘅時候經常跑步返工放工。最，最主要就係天文臺可以有地方俾我衝涼（Laughter）。噉呢個港臺我估好似冇。
車淑梅：都有嘅，不過你唔識啫。噉，啫話，好，好開心呢，其實，繼續每一日呢，都繼續咁開心就好啦。噉最緊要我哋有好天氣呢。其實 *kei，今年2020嘅天氣呢，啫係，阿武測天，啫，睇嚟 ，啫，會唔會有個好嘅發展，今年？
梁榮武：其實，eh 係悲觀嘅（車淑梅：你擰頭喎）因爲今日1月5號呢，噉，其實，啫，天文臺會喺三月嘅時候呢（車淑梅：Laughs），會做一個，啫係，年度嘅預報。 【6：00】噉，啫，講吓我哋香港落幾多雨呀，啫係，預計落幾多雨呀，打幾多風咁樣（車淑梅：Mm mm）。噉呢個要等臺長三月嘅時候公報呢（車淑梅：係 ）。噉但係 . . . 係呀 . . . 啫，講講大啲嘅赤道嘅問題，啫係話，講返氣候變化 eh 啱啱我哋舊年年尾西班牙開咗一個氣候峰會呢。噉就好可惜，大家嗰個對呢個氣候變化 . . . 嗰個力度都真係唔夠，睇上嚟我哋嗰個氣候只會係惡化落去。
● 擰頭 lihng6 tàuh4 = to shake one’s head
● 赤道 chek3 douh6 = the equator
● 舊年年尾 gauh6 nín4*2 nìhn4 méih5 = at the end of last year
● 峰會 fūng1 wúi6*2 = a summit (meeting)
● 力度 *lehk douh6 = dynamism; vigour
● 睇上嚟 tái2 seuhng6 làih4 = by the looks of it
● Here, in the phrase 啫，以前都, Chea-Shuk-mei seems to pronounce the dōu1 as *dyu.
● The opening words of this segment 少就少，不過係有嘅 can be translated as “True, there aren’t many earthquakes, but there are some”.
● 斷層 dyuhn6 chàhng4 = (geological) fault
● 板塊 báan2 faai3 = tectonic plate; continental plate