鳳園 Fung Yuen is a butterfly oasis only a short bus journey from Tai Po, in the New Territories in Hong Kong. Despite the new buildings that have, incredibly, been allowed to go up there in recent years, the place remains an ecological miracle.
This 5-minute video is largely scripted, and so the language is fairly formal. There are, however, two more colloquial sections featuring the founder of the Reserve, 邱榮光 Dr Yau Wing Kwong and the government minister 邱騰華 Edward Yau Tang-wah, then head of the 環保局 Environmental Protection Bureau, and now by some terrible irony of politics, Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development.
Needless to say, you’ll find plenty of useful vocabulary here on ecology-related areas such as 生態多樣性 sāang1 taai3 dō1 yeuhng6 sing3 = biodiversity; 品種 bán2 júng2 = a species; and 繁殖 fàahn4 jihk6 = to breed; to reproduce. You’ll also get to hear 親身嘅參與 chān1 sān1 ge3 chāam3 yuh6 = “hands-on experience” and the related idiomatic expression 落手落腳 lohk6 sáu2 lohk6 geuk3 = to get one’s hands dirty.
You can view the video here. Since it is a YouTube video, you can slow down the playback speed if you wish: at 0.75 and 0.5, the sound quality is still good. And remember, if you want the standard jyutping romanization or to check any of the Chinese in the text, please consult the Sheik Cantonese on-line dictionary.
You might also like to make use the Ekho Text to Speech Converter if you have trouble matching any part of the transcribed Chinese text to the spoken version. Just make sure you select “Cantonese” under the language menu before you paste cut and text into the relevant box.
Caption： 鳳園蝴蝶保育區 | Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve
位於大埔嘅鳳園蝴蝶保育區 | 鄰近大埔工業邨 | 離大埔虛巴士站及小巴站 | 大約十五分鐘車程
● 鄰近 lèuhn4 gahn6 = (?) to be in the vicinity of | ● 車程 chē1 chìhng4 = transport journey
The Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve located in Tai Po is adjacent to [鄰近] the Tai Po Industrial Estate, roughly a 15-minute journey from the bus and minibus station at Tai Po Market.
鳳園村溪流充足 | 濕度較高，有利耕種 | 原居民種植嘅植物入便 | 有唔少都適合蝴蝶生長
● 溪流 kāi1 làuh4 = brook; stream | ● 充足 chūng1 jūk1 = adequate; enough; sufficient | ● 有利 yáuh5 leih6 = advantageous; favourable | ● 耕種 gāang1 jung3 = to plough and sow; to cultivate; to farm | ● 原居民 yùhn4 gēui1 màhn4 = 1. aborigine cf. 原住民 2. Indigenous inhabitants: residents in the New Territories of Hong Kong | ● 種植 jung3 jihk6 = to plant; to grow
Fung Yuen Village has many streams, making it a fairly moist [place], favourable to cultivation. Among the plants planted by the original inhabitants, not a few are suited to the growth [生長] of butterflies.
喺1980年，政府將鳳園村北面 | 大約42公頃嘅山谷地區列爲 | 鳳園谷特殊科學價值地點，簡稱 SSSI | 直到2005年 | 大埔環保會喺村内 | 成立「鳳園蝴蝶保育區」| 保育同埋推廣鳳園谷嘅生態多樣性 | 及圍村嘅文化特色【1:00】
● 公頃 gūng1 kíng2 = hectare | ● 列爲 liht6 wàih4 = to be classified as | ● 簡稱 gáan2 chīng1 = abbreviation; for short| ● 大埔環保會 Daaih6 Bou3 Wàahn4 Bóu2 Wúi6*2= Tai Po Environmental Association | ● 鳳園蝴蝶保育區 Fuhng6 Yùhn4 Wùh4 Dihp6/Díp6*2 Bóu2 Yuhk6 Kēui1= Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve | ● 生態多樣性 sāang1 taai3 dō1 yeuhng6 sing3 = biodiversity
In 1980, the government classified approximately 42 hectares of mountain valley north of Fung Yuen Village as the “Fung Yuen Valley Site of Special Scientific Interest [價值]” or “SSSI” for short. In 2005, the Tai Po Environmental Association founded the Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve to protect and promote the biodiversity of the Fung Yuen Valley, as well as the special cultural characteristics of the walled village.
大埔環保會喺1997年 | 由邱榮光博士創立 | 係一個非牟利慈善團體 | 大埔環保會自創立以嚟 | 積極投入舉辦各類型嘅環保活動 | 致力推廣及提倡 | 環境保育嘅教育同埋認知 | 定期舉行嘉年華同埋展覽攤位 | 鼓勵市民關注環境問題
● 邱榮光 = Yāu1 Wìhng4 Gwōng1 = Yau Wing Kwong | ● 創立 chong3 laahp6 = to establish; to found; to set up | ● 非牟利慈善團體 fēi1 màuh4 leih6 chìh4 sihn6 tyùhn4 tái2 = a non-profit charitable organization | ● 自 . . . 以嚟 jih6 . . . yíh5 làih4 = ever since; from . . . up to the present | ● 致力 ji3 lihk6 = to devote oneself to; to work for | ● 提倡 tàih4 chēung1 = to advocate; to promote | ● 認知 yihng6 jī1 = (?) to be cognisant of; to be aware of | ● 嘉年華 gāa1 nìhn4 wàah4 = carnival | ● 展覽攤位 jín2 láahm5 tāan1 wái6*2 = (?) an exhibition stand/stall/space
The Tai Po Environmental Association was set up by Dr Yau Wing Kwong in 1997. It is a non-profit charitable organization. Since its inception, it has been active in running various kinds of environmental protection activities and has devoted itself to the popularization and promotion of both environmental protection education and awareness [認知]. At regular intervals [定期] it runs carnivals and exhibition sites to encourage ordinary citizens to become concerned about environmental issues.
另外，大埔環保會 | 喺三門仔成立大埔地質教育中心 | 係一個融合自然景觀 | 同埋人文景觀嘅獨特區域 | 能夠將保育地貌同埋岩石嘅信息推廣開去 | 為市民提供地質觀賞及環保資訊之餘 | 亦肩負起教育同埋推廣嘅責任
● 景觀 gíng2 gūn1 = a landscape | + 獨特區域 duhk6 dahk6 kēui1 wihk6 = a special region | + 地貌 daih6 maauh6 = the general configuration of the earth’s surface; landforms | + 岩石 ngàahm4 sehk6 = rock | + 觀賞 gūn1 séung2 = to view & admire; to enjoy the sight of | + 資訊 jī1 seun3 = information | + 肩負 gīn1 fuh6 = to take on; to undertake; to shoulder
Note: Often in Cantonese, a fuller verb form is required when the 將 jēung1 structure is used, perhaps to maintain a balanced sentence rhythm with the removal of the direct object to its pre-verbal position, hence: 能夠將保育地貌同埋岩石嘅信息推廣開去. As you can see, a directional complement such as 開去 hōi1 heui3 can be used for this purpose. Other kinds of complements such as those expressing location are also used.
In addition, the Tai Po Environmental Association established the Tai Po Geoheritage Centre at Sam Mun Tsai. It is a special district that brings together appreciation of both natural and human-cultural landscapes [景觀], [something] that can popularize both the conservation of landforms and information about rocks. And apart from providing enjoyment of the geology and information about environmental protection, the Geoheritage Centre also shoulders the responsibility of education and popularization.
邱榮光： 大家好 | 大埔環保會喺1997年成立到而家 | 主要係希望透過教育啦，同埋親身嘅參與 | / / 得到自然保育同埋啲環保嘅活動 | 鳳園有超過二百種嘅蝴蝶 | 啊，我哋發覺咁好嘅地方 | 我哋應該介紹多啲俾香港人知道 【2:00】| 所以我哋喺度 | 做教育啦 | 做一啲親手 | 等義工去落手落腳 | 一齊 / / 種植 | 做返個樂園俾啲蝴蝶嚟到享用 | 亦都俾我哋可以一齊嚟認識呢個大自然 | 同埋一齊欣賞呢啲咁靚嘅蝴蝶 | 可能都係 *dei 因爲咁多義工努力嘅工作 | 同埋咁多人嚟欣賞我哋嘅蝴蝶 | 咁其實村民亦都係好感動 | 嚟到一齊支持我哋工作 | 噉都係呢啲市民嘅支持 | 令到我哋有力量 / / 繼續去努力呢個工作 | 噉所以我都希望大家今日嚟到 | 欣賞我哋蝴蝶之後呢 | 亦都可以考慮留低 | 成爲我哋嘅義工 | 一齊嚟到保育呢笪咁靚嘅大自然 | 咁美好嘅地方
● 親身嘅參與 chān1 sān1 ge3 chāam3 yuh6 = lit. “hands-on experience”; perhaps “direct participation” here | ● 發覺 faat3 gok3 = to find; to detect; to discover| ● 落手落腳 lohk6 sáu2 lohk6 geuk3 = to get one’s hands dirty; to put one’s hands and feet to work; to take action | ● 享用 = héung2 yuhng6 = to enjoy the use of | ● 笪 daat3 = a patch; a plot (a measure word or classifier)
Yau Wing Kwong speaks: Hello everyone. From 1997, when the Tai Po Environmental Association established up till now, what we have mainly hoped for is to obtain protection for the environment and environmental activities (?) by means of education and direct participation. Fung Yuen has over 200 species of butterfly, and having discovered such a fine place, we ought to introduce it so that more Hong Kong people get to know about it. And so for this reason, here we do education, we do some direct participation, letting volunteers get their hands dirty with planting, remaking a paradise for the butterflies to enjoy the use of and for us to get to know this natural world [呢個大自然] together as well as to appreciate such beautiful butterflies. Perhaps also because of the hard work of so many volunteers, and because so many people have come to enjoy the sight of our butterflies, the [local] villagers have also, as a matter of fact, been moved to come together to support / / work. Also, the support of the people of Hong Kong has given us the strength to continue striving in this work. So, for this reason, we also hope that after you have admired our butterflies today, you might consider staying with us [留低] and joining [成爲] our volunteers, to protect with us [一齊嚟到] this beautiful piece of nature and such a fine place.
● 存活 chyùhn4 wuht6 = to survive | ● 有賴於 yáuh5 laaih6 yū1 = to depend on | ● 寄主植物 gei3 jyú2 jihk6 maht6 = a host plant | ● 蜜源 maht6 yùhn4 = nectar source | ● 幼蟲 yau3 chùhng4 = larva | ● 成蟲 sìhng4 chùhng4 = imago; adult | ● 品種 bán2 júng2 = a species | ● 繁多 fàahn4 dō1= various | ● 以至 yíh5 ji3 = down to; up to | ● 罕有 hón2 yáuh5 = rare | ● 固定 gu3 dihng6 = fixed; regular
The survival of butterflies depends both on host plants and nectar sources. Host plants are the plants that butterfly caterpillars eat, while nectar sources are the plants that the adult butterflies feed on. The plants at Fung Yuen [show] a [great] variety. From common species that are host plants to rare and protected plants ⸺ they can all be found at Fung Yuen. Because larva all have their designated [固定] host plants, a butterfly’s habitat-environment [棲息環境] cannot be too far away from [such] host plants.
大埔環保會委托咗香港中文大學 | 定期觀察保育區入面嘅寄主植物 | 品種、數量同埋位置 | 從而推斷出區内可能繁殖到嘅蝴蝶品種 | 除咗植物普查之外 | 鳳園蝴蝶保育區每個月都會|進行定期蝴蝶普查 | 記錄蝴蝶嘅品種同埋數量 | 以監察保育區入便嘅生態質素 | 香港觀鳥會就會進行 | 每季一次嘅雀鳥普查 | 記錄鳳園範圍内所見嘅雀鳥品種同埋數目
● 委托 wái2 tok3 = to entrust; to trust | ● 推斷出 tēui1 dyun3 chēut1 = to infer; to deduce | ● 繁殖 fàahn4 jihk6 = to breed; to reproduce | ● 普查 póu2 chàah4 = general investigation/survey | ● 監察 gāam1 chaat3 = to supervise; to control | ● 香港觀鳥會 Hēung1 Góng2 Gūn1 Níuh5 Wúi6*2 = the Hong Kong Bird Watching Society | ● 每季一次 múih5 gwai3 yāt1 chi3 = every season; Summer, Autumn, Winter & Spring | ● 雀鳥 jeuk3 níuh5 = birds | ● 數目 sou3 muhk6 = number; amount
The Tai Po Environmental Association has given CUHK the task [委托咗] of supervising the host plants in the butterfly reserve at regular intervals [定期] [in terms of their] kind, number and location and, from this, deducing which kinds of butterflies can reproduce within the reserve. Apart from general surveys of plants, the Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve also carries out a monthly general survey of butterflies, recording butterfly numbers and species in order to supervise the ecological quality of the reserve. The Hong Kong Bird Watching Society carries out a general survey of birds in each of the four seasons [每季一次], keeping a record of bird species and numbers within Fung Yuen’s range.
鳳園蝴蝶保育區會定期舉行推廣活動 | 藉此提醒市民保育環境 | 活動包括生態導賞團 | 同埋各式各樣嘅講座、展覽 | 令參加者可以更加了解【4:00】| 有關鳳園嘅文化同埋生態情況
● 生態導賞團 sāang1 taai3 douh6 séung2 tyùhn4 = a guided eco-tour; an ecological guided tour
Note: The expression 令 . . . 可以 is often used as an equivalent of the English “to enable (sb. or sth.) to do sth.”
Fung Yuen Butterfly Reserve regularly [定期] conducts promotional activities to remind the Hong Kong people about protecting the environment. [Such] activities include guided ecological tours, as well as all kinds of lectures and exhibitions, enabling participants to better understand the culture of Fung Yuen and the ecological situation [there].
邱騰華 （環保局局長）speaks: | Edward Yau Tang-wah (Yāu1 Tàhng4 Wàah4), Secretary for the Bureau of Environmental Protection
鳳園呢個 ah 蝴蝶保育區呢 | 其實香港比較一個獨有嘅地方 | 呢個係三方面合作所能夠做得到嘅 | 一方面係 ah 由政府出資 | ah 去俾一個，啫 ah 大埔環保會就做一個環保嘅團體 | 去保育呢個地方 | 亦都同時呢，係 ah 當地嘅居民一齊去參與 | 噉先至能夠得到一笪地方呢 | 係既可以保留呢，現有嗰個人民嘅文化啦，村落啦， | 亦都同時呢，係可以保育 ah 呢啲蝴蝶嘅繁殖 | / / 亦都係一個 ah 生態上面呢 | 保育嘅一個好好嘅地區
● 出資 chēut1 jī1 = (?) to put up the money; to provide the funds
This butterfly reserve in Fung Yuen is actually a rather special place in Hong Kong. It was made possible by cooperation between three different parties [方面]. One party was the government, who provided the funding to the Tai Po Environmental Association to form an environmental entity to protect this place. At the same time, the local residents have also joined in. Only thus has it been possible to obtain a site [一笪地方] in order to preserve the existing culture of the people [here], the village[s] and, at the same time, to be able to protect [UNCLEAR] the breeding of the butterflies [UNCLEAR] it is also, in ecological terms, a fine district under protection.
我自己都去過鳳園好多次 | 我覺得呢個地方好獨特 | 嗱，一方面，現有嘅村落係保持到嘅 | 另外呢，如果你係鍾意蝴蝶 | 你鍾意生態環境嘅時候 | 或者係想做一個義工去參與 | 呢個保育工作嘅時候呢 | 我覺得鳳園係一個非常之值得去嘅地方
● 保持到 bàu2 chìh4 dou3 = to keep; to maintain; to preserve
I have visited Fung Yuen many times myself. I think this place is very special. On the one hand, the existing village has been conserved. On the other, if you have a liking for butterflies or for the natural environment [生態環境], or if you would like to come and join in the work of the reserve as a volunteer, I think Fung Yuen is an exceptionally worthwhile place.
有興趣人士可以上 www.fungyuen.org 瀏覽
● 瀏覽 làuh4 láahm5 = to glance over; to skim through; to surf (the internet)
Anyone interested can visit our website at www.fungyuen.org