Heartbreak and outrage for the families of the 47 individuals accused of “subversion” for taking part in a peaceful political poll. You can watch the video here (there are no subtitles), or scroll down for the transcript, English translation and notes. Since this video was first aired, four of the accused have since been granted bail, including Hendrick Lui Chi Hang.
● 劉頴匡女友 Emilia Wong
呢啲（保釋）條件基本上係已經係非常之嚴苛、苛刻，嚴格，基本上啲被告、啲政治犯，要遵守呢一啲嘅保釋條件，實際上佢哋係等於，我覺係等於，社會性死亡，根本上呢，佢哋唔會喺公共領域上面存在㗎喇，基本上係等於唔再存在喺個社會咁滯 // [有]嗰啲保釋條件係令到佢哋。
● 嚴苛 yìhm4 hō1 = harsh (administration of law) | ● 苛刻 hō1 hāak1 = harsh | ● 嚴格 yìhm4 gaak3 = strict; rigorous; stringent | ● 公共領域 gūng1 guhng6 líhng5 wihk6 = the public domain/sphere | ● 咁滯 gam3 jaih6 = almost, nearly | ● 政權 jing3 kyùhn4 = regime | ● 法庭嘅程序 faat3 tìhng4 = (?) the procedure of the court; court procedure | ● 夾埋 gaap3 màaih4 = ① to collude; to conspire ② to pool together | ● 遲吓 chìh4 háah5 = (?) later | ● 夠膽 gau3 dáam2 = courage; (?) to be brave enough | ● 寄予 gei3 yúh5 = to place (hope, etc.) on/in | ● 厚望 háuh5 mohng6 = great expectations | ● 撐住 chaang3 jyuh6 = to put up with; to keep up| ● 崗位 gōng1 wái6*2 = a post; a station
● Emilia Wong, girlfriend of Ventus Lau (劉頴匡 Làuh4 Wihng6 Hōng1):
Basically, these (bail) conditions are extremely harsh, stringent, strict. Having to adhere to these bail conditions basically makes the defendants — the political prisoners — in actual fact tantamount to dead in a social sense and, basically, they cannot exist anymore in the public domain. Basically, it is tantamount to their virtually [咁滯] no longer existing in society anymore. // the bail conditions have already made them.
What exactly is this regime afraid of? [Are they] afraid of dead people continuing to endanger national security? The so-called “procedure” of the court in these past four days [呢咁多日] is, from my perspective, is a piece of theatre that everyone has performed in collusion. Fundamentally it is a pre-written script. So, when you ask me if I have faith in the appeals [which will be heard] later [遲吓], I don’t have the courage to have any hopes for it, because it is nothing but play-acting. Everyone just has to keep on going. There’s nothing else one can say. We just go on at our posts, supporting both ourselves and the people nearest and dearest to us.
● 呂智恆養母 Elsa
【1:24】呢 47 個人，全部都係為我哋香港，// 香港 // 而家就係被 // 呢個政權，係將我哋香港搞壞咗 . . .
● 教導 gaau3 douh6 = to instruct; to teach; to give guidance | ● 良好 lèuhng4 hóu2 = good; well
● Elsa, foster mother of Hendrick Lui Chi Hang:
All these 47 individuals have [acted] for our Hong Kong [UNCLEAR]. Now // by this regime // has ruined this Hong Kong of ours . . .
My whole family, my husband, we have all given him proper instruction. He is a fine young man and what he has is only love, and the pursuit of justice. He is a credit to me.
律政司提供嘅材料呢，係非常之薄弱，// 但係，令，要令到被告要係還押三個月，就話係進 // 一步證實到呢，而家嘅司法制度呢，基本喺國安法嘅之下嚟講，係完全呢，係冇一個我哋言論嘅保障，我哋亦都，都完全冇埋喇。我想提一點就係，好多被告，啫，佢，佢哋接受嘅嚴苛條件，係寧願[係將] 犧牲佢哋嘅言論嘅自由，自己言論嘅自由，但係法官呢，都係唔會接受，啫話呢，根本上呢，我係對於未來嘅審訊亦都係毫不樂觀嘅。
● 審訊 sám2 seun3 = ① to interrogate; to try ② a trial; a courtroom hearing| ● 出奇 chēut1 kèih4 = ① unusually; extraordinarily ② extraordinary | ● 司法制度 sī1 faat3 jai3 douh6 = the judicial system | ● 扭曲 náu2 kūk1 = to distort | ● 顛倒 dīn1 dóu2 = to turn upside down; to reverse | ● 律政司 leuht6 jing3 sī1 = Department of Justice | ● 法官 faat3 gūn1 = a judge | ● 毫不 hòuh4 bāt1 = not in the least; not at all
● Chan Po-ying (Chàhn4 Bóu2 Yìhng4), wife of “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung (Lèuhng4 Gwok3 Hùhng4):
There’s nothing extraordinary at all about the result of the trial. It’s what we expected. Because we know with the introduction [立咗] of the National Security Law, the judicial system of the whole of Hong Kong has become completely distorted, and has been turned completely upside down.
The material provided by the Department of Justice was extremely meagre // but it has caused the defendants to be detained for three months, which further proves that the present judicial system under the National Security Law has basically, has completely, is no guarantee of our freedom of speech, we have none at all now. One point I’d like to mention is that many of the defendants accepted some harsh (bail) conditions, preferring to sacrifice their freedom of speech, their own freedom of speech, but the judge couldn’t accept this, and this means that, fundamentally, I am not in the least bit optimistic about the future court trial.
【2:56】警方呢，係提早咗個幾月進行呢個拘捕嘅行動呢，將 47 名被告全部帶上法庭，進行 4 日嘅審訊，而期間呢，佢哋係禁止任何家屬，係任何家屬，係一庭度旁聽，呢個係我哋權利，但係我哋冇。各被告呢，喺 4 日審訊以嚟，係冇見過、完全冇見過自己嘅親人。
另外，控方而家係要求呢，將審訊押後成 3 個月呢，去進行搜證，對所有嘅被告同所有被告家屬嚟講呢，都係非常唔合理，唔合比例，同唔公平嘅，我喺度表示，我係非常傷心同憤怒嘅。最後呢，想呼籲大家，繼續支持佢哋。香港加油，香港人加油！
● 禁止 gam3 jí2 = to prohibit; to ban; to forbid | ● 控方 hung3 fōng1 = the prosecution; the prosecuting party | ● 押後 [ng]aat3 houh6 = to postpone; to adjourn | ● 搜證 sāu1 jing3 = cf. 搜 = to search + 證 = evidence | ● 唔合比例 mh4 hahp6 béi2 laih6 = out of (all) proportion, cf. 比例 = proportion
● Yu Si-long (Yùh4 Sī1 Lóhng5), wife of Lester Shum (Sàhm4 Ngòuh4 Fā i1)
The police carried out this arrest operation three months earlier than [originally planned], and took all 47 of the accused off to court for a trial lasting four days, during which they forbid any family member, any family member, to listen to the proceedings in Courtroom 1. This is our right, but we did not have it. Since the trial [began] four days ago, we have not been able to meet with any of the defendants, and they have not had any opportunity [完全冇] to see their own family.
Furthermore, the prosecution has demanded that the trial be adjourned for a whole three months while a search for evidence is carried out. This is totally unreasonable for the defendants as well as for their family members. It is also out of all proportion and unfair. Here I would like to say that I am extremely saddened and angry. Finally, I would like to call on everyone to continue to support them. Hong Kong Add Oil! Hongkongers Add Oil!
【3:50】呢個係一班改變香港，改變香港政治，亦都係改變香港我哋一個現狀嘅一個…香港去一個倒退政治現狀，倒退我哋言論自由一個嘅重要嘅案件，我希望世界各地，亦都希望香港人，我哋一齊去繼續關注。同埋作為一個家屬，我就好希望，呃，我哋除咗傷心、除咗憤怒之外，我哋要堅強，除咗我哋自己堅強，我哋嘅，我哋嘅丈夫，我哋嘅妻子，我哋嘅仔女，我哋嘅，呃，學生，我哋嘅朋友，啫，喺呢一個，呃，收押所裏面嘅人，嘅朋友，佢哋全部都要繼續係好堅強，同埋大家我哋而家係同坐一 [條] 船，我哋希望可以同舟共濟 . . .
● 倒退 dou3 teui3 = to go backwards; to fall back | ● 堅強 gīn1 kèuhng4 = strong; firm; staunch | ● 收押所 sāu1 [ng]aat3 só2 = reception centre (here referring to the Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre, where the defendants are being held), literally “place for receiving the detained” | ● 同舟共濟 tùhng4 jāu1 guhng6 jai3 = cross a river in the same boat — people in the same boat help each other
● Au Pui-fan (Āu1 Pui3 Fān1), wife of Eddie Chu (Jyū1 Hói2 Dihk6):
This is a group of . . . that is changing Hong Kong, changing Hong Kong politics, as well as changing our current situation in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is headed for a backward falling political situation, and they are pushing back [倒退] the important case of our freedom of speech. It is my hope that [people] all over the world, as well as the people of Hong Kong continue to keep a close eye on this. In addition, as a family member, I hope very much that apart from sadness and outrage, we must be strong. Apart from being strong ourselves, our, our husbands, our wives, our sons and daughters, our students, our friends — our friends inside the reception centre — all of them have to be strong. Now all of us are sitting in the same boat, [so] let us hope that we can all help each other.